.

Death and Taxes

>> Friday, March 1, 2013

I spent the better part of the last 24 hours working on my taxes. Taxes are no fun for anyone, but as a small business owner and basic one woman show, mine are becoming more and more complicated and horrifying every year. I happened upon this vintage book cover online today, and found it hilarious as it pretty much sums up the end of my week.

 photo taxes001.jpg

It all started off well and good. I've been doing my own taxes for years. This past year, I made sure to do a lot of the grunt work as it came along. I had inventory basically done. My numbers were all squared away. My deductions were all present and accounted for. I was feeling pretty confident much like Ms. Lombard here.

 photo taxes002.jpg

Thinking back on that sweet time, it seems like it was only yesterday. Wait. What is today? That was only YESTERDAY!? My brain has officially turned to sludge. All I can say is that I will definitely be, ahem, saving a little more to prepare for the next time around. This is basically how my facial expressions changed throughout the day (and night).

 photo taxes003.jpg

After my friend Amber soothed my pain a bit, I came to realize that even though taxes can suck, the fact that I owe so much more just means that my business did that much better. It's true. The ol' shop is really chugging along, and I'm really proud of how far I've come in the past year. I can't wait to see how things progress this year.

If you haven't tackled yours yet, I have a pointer for you. Nothing is better after a taxation marathon than carbs and booze. You'll thank me later. Like icy hot for the brain, those two. Sophia knows what I'm talking about. 

 photo taxes004.jpg
Image Sources: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six

5 comments:

Ira Kharchenko March 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM  

Amazing pics! So inspiring:)

http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

Amber March 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM  

Lady, you got 'em done! I am still wading through a pile of receipts and tears over here. I looooooove the book cover, and this perfectly displays your range of faces. XO,Bam!

Allison Gill August 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM  

“Taxes are no fun...” - I totally agree. Preparing it is very challenging. There are so many things to consider and everything must be correct or else, you will have to face a lot of tax dilemmas in the future. Good thing that there are people who can help us to make tax preparation easy like accountants. Anyway, this may be late but thanks for the pointer and glad that everything worked out for you. → Allison @ BestDenverCPA.com

Cory Saba November 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM  

The taxes you pay can be your gauge on how well your business is doing. If you pay your tax on time and you see that it has increase in value, then it could only mean that your business is doing well. By the way, who's doing the tax preparation for you?

-Cory Saba @ IntegratedAccounting.com

Gilbert McNally December 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM  

Yeah, death and taxes can probably mean the same thing for some. To avoid such, why not have your own accountant? It would be one less job for you to do. It can also help you focus more on aspects of your business you think needs improving. Gilbert@ATBS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...