.

How to Thrift: Part Five

>> Friday, December 2, 2011

Photobucket

This holiday season has me so overwhelmed with things that this blog has been left sitting the dusty corner of my hall closet with my old leaky rain boots and broken cuckoo clocks. (Yes, I have multiple broken cuckoo clocks.) Well, I'm back from the dead, and ready to add blogging back to my To-Do list along with the wrapping, baking, and candlestick making. So yes, on with it, then, yeah? Tip number five:

LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED.


So maybe you looked through the dresses, and you found diddly squat. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t something even more amazing hiding somewhere else. Look. Through. Everything. Look through the men’s section. Awesome dress shirts and concert tees might await you! Look through the children’s section. I recently found a scandalous roller disco worthy romper in with the kids’ clothes. Sometimes great things come in tiny packages, and are organized as such. Check the ends of the aisles and the fitting room area (if such a thing exits). People like to stick good things in convenient places if they decide against them or have to run out to use the bathroom because they didn’t read Tip #3. Scoop these things up! If it’s not claimed, it’s fair game! Think of it like an Easter egg hunt except instead of candy-filled eggs, you’re looking for yummy fashions, and instead of grass, you’re sifting through old, discolored golf shirts and stretched out pantyhose. Fun!

Photobucket
"Holy bejeezus! Behind that pile of dog crap! It's a 1940s fox fur stole! Score!"
Image source: LIFE Magazine

6 comments:

Aya Smith December 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM  

SPOT ON. I love that you mentioned even the MENS section, which I almost always completely neglect... smart. I ALSO love that you used a vintage Easter egg hunt photo, heehee! :D

Aya of Strawberry Koi

Jenni Wells - Stop Making Sense December 5, 2011 at 9:33 AM  

I have a secret to share with you.... yesterday I went thrifting in southern Indiana (Salem, Sellersburg, New Albany, Clarksville, and other places between here and Louisville) and hit the jackpot! All of the Goodwill's were sized and color coded making things so much easier to find. Next time you go to Louisville, I highly recommend hitting the Goodwill's and little junky thirft stores up along the way.

watermoolen December 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM  

Great tips. I really don't think you can find something amazing ALL the time, just the same with shopping elsewhere, so it's good that you let your readers know about that!

Just keep scouring : ).
xx, Crystal
@watermoolen

Amber December 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

Tip five! So much thrifting knowledge. I hope you move "writing new blog posts" to the top of your New Years resolutions, because I love reading your blog, especially the photo captions.

Kate S January 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM  

o0o I like these posts on thrifting. It's one of my favorite things to do. I also browse the mens section. Their sweaters are comfy!

-Kate
WhileISipMyTea.blogspot.com

The Hieberts April 29, 2014 at 8:20 AM  

Thanks for this series! I'm an avid thrifter already, but I like to make sure I'm not missing out on any tips from the real experts! Your series was really well-written and entertaining. Thanks for posting this for all and sundry! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...