.

How to Thrift: Part Three

>> Thursday, November 3, 2011

Photobucket

We're three weeks into this series, and I feel like we're really getting down to business now. There are some thrifting tricks that most people could figure out on their own, but some just come from simple experience. This is one of those tricks:

BE PREPARED.


Photobucket

A lot of thrift stores and antique malls don’t have fitting rooms. Because of this, you need to dress accordingly. I like to wear clothing that allows me to try things on without flashing everyone the good china. That means clothing that you can pull things over or under without much fuss. I tend to wear slip on flats because I’m lazy about lacing and unlacing and layers because I’m always freezing. I try to make the bottom-most layer something fairly form-fitting like a cami or a tank. That way, after I have an armload of stuff, I can find a mirror, peel off a few layers, and get down to business.

Be careful with things that seem tight. The last thing you need is to get stuck in some 1980s cocktail dress, and have to ask the old guy stocking mugs if he can help you. This is where a buddy comes in handy. If all of this just seems like too much work, bring measuring tape so that you can check measurements, and know right off the bat whether or not something will fit. While you’re at it, you might also want to bring some hand sanitizer if you’re the type that hovers over toilet seats and doesn’t eat things you drop on the floor. The items you’ll be touching are usually unwashed and have been sitting in someone’s basement for years. Oh, and use the bathroom BEFORE you go, bring cash, and don’t forget your game face!

14 comments:

Mabel November 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM  

Haha I love how you include hand sanitizer. That's a great tip, though! I've been thrifting over half my life and you definitely need that stuff. Also, I'm not being down on myself in my blog lol! I'm just being silly :) Thanks for your comment!

Mabel
Mabel Time

fashion westie November 6, 2011 at 8:05 PM  

This is a great read. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a hoverer. But I've never thought to take hand sanitizer! Good tip.

Jul November 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM  

This is really helpful! Too bad we don't have many thrift stores here in Italy -_-
Thanks for your darling comment, I appreciated it so much! :)
Life is a romantic poem

Meesh November 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM  

Great post series. Not much in the way of good thrift stores in my neck of the woods, unfortunately. (Word on the hand sanitizer, though! Have definitely seen my share of slightly gross secondhand items at the shops we do have.)

I wanted to thank you for commenting over at my blog, and for the extremely flattering Fiona Apple comparison. :)

lapetiteblonde November 7, 2011 at 4:46 AM  

great post!!
kisses=)

Kyla November 7, 2011 at 5:18 AM  

Great tips! I've only run into one place where they didn't have a fitting room, and I definitely wasn't dressed to be changing in the middle of the store. Wish I had read this tip before that :)

Hillary November 7, 2011 at 6:38 AM  

Great tips! I love this series!

http://www.thoreausdaughter.com/

Danielle November 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM  

Hehe brillaint tips! :)

I always wear my game face when I'm shopping! Haha

x

http://fandabbydozie.blogspot.com/

Kirsten November 8, 2011 at 4:23 AM  

I don't think I've ever been thrifting. Is that bad? I wouldn't know where to begin!

t November 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM  

Great post!

http://initialed.blogspot.com

Marielleheart November 10, 2011 at 2:06 AM  

Love it!

M and C November 10, 2011 at 5:25 AM  

i love thrift stores! fabulous blog :D
http://spliffedcookies.blogspot.com/

dunia kecil indi November 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM  

nice tips :D

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys November 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM  

Good tips! I really need to be better at dressing right... I always seem to be wearing a dress and tights and a slip and a shirt under the dress and a coat and... well, you get it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...