.

How to Thrift: Part Two

>> Monday, October 24, 2011

Photobucket

Another week, another tip on how to thrift! This one is important, as I've found that the thing that makes most people take on the notion that it's impossible to find great things in second hand stores is that they tried once, and didn't find much. There's one way to fix that!

MAKE IT A HABIT.


Once you’ve established your favorite thrifting destinations, you’ll want to go often. Most second hand stores rely on donations. You never know when Old Aunt Mildred might decide to make more space for crocheted Kleenex boxes by donating her old prom dresses. Just because you didn’t find much one day doesn’t mean you won’t be swimming in amazing stuff the next. Don’t get discouraged!

Photobucket
Image Source: http://chuckmanchicagonostalgia.wordpress.com

6 comments:

Not Just A Pretty Dress October 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM  

Thanks for these tips! I have to admit that I'm not very good at vintage shopping, that's the reason why I love to go shopping with an expert like you...

Jenni Wells - Stop Making Sense October 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM  

Do you have much luck thrifting around Bloomington? I find that most thrift stores are picked over. The Martinsville Goodwill is gold. The flea market there can be good for some really unique finds too. A few months ago I picked up lace 50's gloves still in the orginally packaging for $3. They're both right off of 37 so I make a stop everytime I go to Indy.

Kara McKenzie October 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM  

Jennni- I do alright in Bloomington. Obviously, it's nothing compared to small town thrift stores or Indy, but I've found some amazing stuff. Like I said, you just have to go A LOT. Aya can attest to that as well.

I've actually bought quite a few dresses at your place in the past month or so. I love that you're doing vintage now!

Cheers,
Kara of
www.fancythatvintage.blogspot.com

Hillary October 25, 2011 at 4:49 PM  

This is a great tip, and it just makes me want to get out and shop the thrift stores more often. There are so many on my way home from work. I just need to hop to it!

http://www.thoreausdaughter.com/

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS October 25, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

so, so true! that's probably the key to thrifting cool pieces...you have to go A LOT. It's just a numbers game. The more you go the better the chances are that youll find something special :)

Anatomy Vintage November 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

I'm LOVING these posts! Thrift thrift thrift, and just when you think you're done, thrift some more. Last week some girl came into the store wearing a sweater that I wanted to steal! Where'd she get it? The West side Bloomington Goodwill. Just stab me in the heart, why don't you, lady?!

*hugs and slugs*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...