.

How to Thrift: Part One

>> Friday, October 21, 2011

Photobucket

Whenever I tell people that I sell vintage clothing, they almost always ask me how I find the items in my shop. When I tell them that I spend a lot of time thrifting, a puzzled look comes over their faces not unlike my own when someone tells me that they love to run in their spare time. Because of this, I thought it might be nice to do a little series in which I share some helpful tips on how to find vintage goodies in your own town. So without further ado, I give you tip number one:

FIND SOME HAUNTS

Photobucket
Original Image Source: Los Angeles Public Library Image Archives

Start off by looking in the phone book. That’s right. Remember that big, flimsy yellow paged thing that fell behind your fridge last year? Aside from the monsters like Goodwill or Salvation Army, most of these stores will be tiny, and the people working there will probably not even have e-mail accounts, let alone websites. Call them, find out their hours, and go! A weird looking little store in the basement of a church might not seem like anything special to the average bear, but those are the places that usually hold the most amazing finds. The best part is that “vintage treasure” to us, usually reads as “old musty crap” to them which means they won’t be charging you an arm and a leg.

There you have it! Be sure to stay tuned for more!

6 comments:

Aya Smith October 21, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

That really is a great tip. The thing about thrifting is, it is time consuming, and you end up finding stock by default of practically living in thrift stores... LOL Can't wait for the rest of the series!

Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

Laura October 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

This is a really great tip! I wish I had more time to thrift shop, I'll definitely be trying harder to get schoolwork out of the way so that I can, haha!
- Laura S

Irene :: { Heirloom Attire } :: October 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM  

So true! I've definitely found some nice, inexpensive vintage brooches at local church thrift stores!

lapetiteblonde October 22, 2011 at 1:44 AM  

great tutorial!!like it!!
kisses pretty=)

Fox And The Feather October 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

Love it, Kara! Next time you're in our neighborhood, I absolutely have to share my secret haunt with you - you will love it!

xoxo

My October 23, 2011 at 7:06 PM  

Thanks for the tip . . . you have a lovely blog!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...