.

Not Too Pure to Be Pink: The Ladies of Grease

>> Monday, August 22, 2011



I'm a firm believer in the idea that you are not a true American girl unless the movie Grease is embedded in your psyche. As a kid, I watched the 1978 film at least twelve times a month for several years straight. The soundtrack was one of the first CD's I ever owned, and tucked into the back of the jewel case was a picture of my best friend Kelsey with whom I spent many an hour attempting the dance moves in the National Bandstand scene. I even remember going to see another childhood friend's older sister play Cha Cha DiGregorio at her school's production.


Image source: Clothes on Film

I was in love. I was in love with the clothes. I was in love with the dancing. I was in love with the music, and more than anything, I was in love with Rizzo. I couldn't care less about Sandy and Danny and their respective identity crises. I was much too entranced by that ballsy pixie haired spitfire with the quick one liners, the super tight outfits, and the "vulgar movements". I still admire her no nonsense approach to dressing. A girl can't climb out of a second story window in a crinoline and heels, no sir. Of course, she's not as tough as she acts, and we get to see a more vulnerable, sweet side of the girl with the bad reputation.

I've come to realize that not everyone shares this opinion, and that's part of why the movie is so great. Ask your friends who their favorite Pink Lady is, and you'll get a different answer every time with a set of reasons just as definite and thought out as mine above. Sandy, Marty, Jan, Frenchie, and Rizzo: five girls with five very different styles and personalities that come together to paint such a timeless portrait of female adolescence.

Sandy from Grease

Rizzo from Grease

Marty from Grease


Jan from Grease

Frenchie from Grease

Lucky me, I found a guy sweet enough to sit through an outdoor sing along screening with me last week, and you better believe I was chang chang chang-it-ty chang shoo-bop-ing along with every other lady on the lawn. It's a good thing, too, because I've exhausted this movie to the point that "John Revolta" incurs some serious eye rolling and faux retching from my entire family. Someday, I'm sure I'll have a child who will act out some sort of karmic retribution, but in the meantime, I'll continue to love this film with all of my heart.

4 comments:

Opendoor Studio August 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

cute and great blog and thanks for getting me hooked on polyvore!
martha
opendoorstudio.etsy.com

Matt August 23, 2011 at 6:35 AM  

The layout on this blog is spectacular. You've got to show me how you did that. Also, which one is Rizzo?

Kara McKenzie August 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

The full blog layout I did myself with a LOT of help from one Aya Smith. The collages in this post, I did with a site called Polyvore along with a little Photoshop magic as usual.

Oh, and Rizzo is the one labeled "Rizzo", goof. Have you never seen Grease?! I have no words.

Amanda September 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM  

Marty Maraschino = always my favorite. Love the post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...