.

I won't be an old maid! Not in Kansas!

>> Tuesday, July 12, 2011



The guy and I continued our accidental Satan-themed movie extravaganza last night with the 1943 picture Heaven Can Wait. It was everything I could ever want from an old movie: intense emotions, a quirky plot line, witty humor that had me laughing out loud over and over again, and last, but certainly not least, gorgeous dramatic clothes with enough fur lined sleeves to sink a warship.



Of course, it wasn't just the costuming that was beautiful. There's the stunning Gene Tierney with her adorable overbite (That's right. Those words can go together!) opposite the amazingly handsome Don Ameche who manages to exude that dangerous combination of rascally, quick witted, and charming as all get out. It doesn't hurt that he reminds me of a 1940's David Duchovny, all puppy dog eyes and mischievous smiles. *swoon*



The movie starts with Henry Van Cleve (Amech) meeting the devil himself in what appears to be a very chic and spacious mid century office to discuss his placement in the afterlife. Through a series of vignettes, his relationships with the women in his life unfold in what I found to be a fairly hilarious and imaginative way. Of course, there's always that misogynistic overtone, but, hey, it was 1943. If you can get past it, it's definitely worth it! If nothing else, it's highly quotable, and there's a hilarious grandfather character. Who can say no to that?

3 comments:

Aya Smith July 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

Oh man, the hair! I don't understand why women stopped putting time and effort into their hair... it's quite sad - almost like a dead language. Also... it's funny you like overbites! Suddenly I feel proud of my own, LOL.

Love,
Aya of Strawberry Koi

Niftic Vintage July 18, 2011 at 2:30 AM  

Great stuff! Give me a classic film any day.

Victoria / Justice Pirate July 28, 2011 at 9:25 AM  

I saw this movie a few months ago and reviewed it briefly in my blog and it was adorable!!! I loved the costumes and thought it was really a funny film other than towards the end when it got sadder. I agree with Aya about women being lazy with hair. sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...